Fanklub Deidre Knight

Piszesz? Malujesz? Projektujesz statki kosmiczne? Tutaj możesz się podzielić swoimi doświadczeniami.

Moderators: Olka, Hotaru, Hotori, Hypatia

ADkA
Fan

Post by ADkA » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:14 pm

Tak się z ciekawości spytam, czy to czasem nie we wczorajszy poniedziałek Deidre miała to spotkanie w Londynie? Czy to jednak za tydzień? :roll:
Bo strasznie jestem ciekawa wyników...
"Żal jest potrzebny, żałując swoich pomyłek, uczymy się na błędach. Ale na Boga, nie pozwól, by rządził twoim życiem. Zwłaszcza, że nigdy nie będziesz pewna, że zobaczysz następny wschód słońca."
Hotaru "Freak Nation"

Ela
Fan...atyk

Post by Ela » Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:52 pm

Aduś, Deidre do Londynu poleciała w sobotę, od tej pory nie mam od niej żadnych wiadomości...Po studiach jakie tam kończyła wróciła do Londynu po dłuższym okresie nieobecności, także dajmy się jej nacieszyć Europą. :) Jak cokolwiek będę wiedziała, dam znać.

RosDeidre
Gość

Saying hello!

Post by RosDeidre » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:51 am

Hi, everybody!!
Just wanted to drop in and say thanks so much for all the wonderful support! As some of you know, I attended the London Book Fair a few weeks ago, and the great news is I now have an agent who will be shopping the Polish rights to my series to publishers in Poland. It will take time, but I have a great new agent who will be representing me in your country! So that's step one toward what we hope will happen. :)

Just wanted to thank you again for the wonderful words and all the fabulous support. You're all wonderful!!!

Not sure if I'd mentioned this, but I have a US release date on book one now and it's next April! :)
Hugs, Deidre

Graalion
Mroczny bóg
Location: Toruń, gdzie 3 małe kocięta tańczą na kurhanach swych wrogów

Post by Graalion » Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:48 pm

ImageImageImageImageImage
"Please, God, make everyone die. Amen."
Wieczorny pacierz Scratch'a ("PvP")

Maleństwo
Starszy nowicjusz

Post by Maleństwo » Sat Apr 02, 2005 1:51 pm

Hi RosDeidre! I'm glad you visited us. I'm not a Dreamer but I really like your wondreful fan-fictions, especially The Gravity Series. I'm so happy - congratulations Deidre :!: and thank you for the stories :cmok: I'm waiting for your books in Poland :!:
Maleństwo

Ela
Fan...atyk

Post by Ela » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:04 pm

And I thank you, Deidre. You know for what and why :serce: . My feelings are with you.
Kiss :cmok:

RosDeidre
Gość

Post by RosDeidre » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:22 am

I'm so glad you guys are excited. :) By the way, I've created a blog that I'll be linking from my author site. I'll let you guys know once I make the first posting!
Hugs to all, D

Olka
Redaktor

Post by Olka » Fri Apr 08, 2005 1:24 am

Great news Deidre! I promise you're going to have a great fan and reader in me! Can't wait to hear more about Polish edition of your book. Can you reveal who is the publisher in our country, yet? If so, please don't keep it under your hat too long :D

Hotori
Obserwator Słów

Post by Hotori » Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:49 pm

It was done !!!! :mrgreen: Hurray !!!
GAW coming SOON....sorry, I'm so excited 8)
thx. RosDeidre :P
'' It is easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend''

William Blake

Ela
Fan...atyk

Post by Ela » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:56 am

Kochani, wiemy już jaki będzie nosił tytuł pierwszej części wydania GAW. "PARALLEL ATTRACTION!!!!! :onfire:
Przypominam, że książka będzie publikowana w przyszłym roku w lutym w Stanach Zjednoczonych...i mamy ogromną nadzieję, że także w Polsce.

Zainteresowanych odsyłam na stronę Deidre, gdzie umieściła więcej informacji, a także uruchomiła blog, opatrzony charakterystycznym dla niej pięknymi komentarzami, pisząc o kreowanych w książce postaciach, swojej fascynacji Roswell, a także troszkę o sobie. Można się tam zarejestrować i porozmawiać. :D

http://www.deidreknight.com/
http://deidreknight.blogspot.com/

Thank You Deidre, for exciting news ! :uklon:

Athaya
Zainteresowany

Post by Athaya » Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:03 am

:jaw: :onfire: ^_^ Ach jak cudooooooooooooooooooownie! Nie zwracajcie na mnie uwagi. To tylko szok...
A tytuł... "Równoległe Przyciąganie" Czy jakoś tak bym to przetłumaczyła... Dalej nie wiem :? Dopiero w przyszłum roku... Eh poczekam...

Thank You Deidre, for exciting news ! :Ukłon:

Hotori
Obserwator Słów

Post by Hotori » Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:02 pm

Elu dzięki ci za te linki !!! Zajrzałam, poczytałam i jestem pod jeszcze większym wrażeniem !

Cóż, wynika z tego że Deidre zaczęła karierę już jako 9 latka ! Hmm...choć z drugiej strony wiele dzieci zaczyna coś skrobać w tym wieku, jakieś proste historie...ale Deidre się udało ! Czyli że od początku miała talent...

hem 8) mam cichą nadzieję, ze mnie też się w przyszłości uda...

William Blake

Hotori
Obserwator Słów

Post by Hotori » Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:36 pm

Pozwolę sobie zamieścić wywiad z Deidre, który znalazłam serwując po internecie- mam nadzieję, że Deidre się nie pogniewa za to, że tak szafuję jej danymi osobistymi 8) ale przecież ona jest już u nas dość sławna, więc chyba nic w tym złego...zaraz wyślę jej chyba maila...tak wypada prawda ?
No nic, a teraz wywiad, można się wiele dowiedzieć o agencji Deidre i jej męża, o ich początkach...zapraszam :D

Spotlight on Deidre Knight
Interview by Christina Hamlett

Name: Deidre Knight

Title: Agent

Agency: The Knight Agency

Address: P.O. Box 550648, Atlanta, GA 30355

How long have you been an agent?

I began agenting nearly seven years ago, in the spring of 1996. My husband, Judson Knight, has been a silent partner since that time, and in 2003 will join our staff full-time as business manager. Our staff also includes administrative assistant Lisa Payne, hired in 1999, and agent Pamela Harty, who joined us in 2000.

What attracted you to the business of representing writers?

I have always had a talent for selling, an interest in books, and a sense of what works in a story. Agenting gave me an opportunity to combine all three.

What categories are you the most excited about selling these days?

Romance and women’s fiction remain key areas of interest for the Knight Agency, and we are always in search of quality literary fiction. In nonfiction, we are interested in business, self-help, pop culture, travel, health, inspirational/religious, and reference books.

How does an author become a prospective client of your agency?

We usually recommend that a prospective client visit us at our Web page (http://www.knightagency.net), learn a little about the agency, then query us via e-mail. Snail-mail queries are also welcome. Romance writers interested in representation are encouraged to attend major national conventions, such as Romance Writers of America in the summer, as a means of meeting agents working in that genre.

Conversely, what really turns you off?

Prospective clients who query or submit manuscripts by means other than the ones that are recommended either by our agency or by authorities on the business in general. Whereas e-mail and regular mail queries are welcome, phone calls are not. If someone becomes our client, we will probably talk regularly on the phone, but until then, we are simply not equipped to handle phone queries. If we request a sample or manuscript, we expect to see something that looks professional, as per Writer’s Market, Jeff Herman’s Writer’s Guide, or a similarly authoritative guide. Keep in mind that, with thousands of writers for every agent, the agent must pick and choose authors with whom he or she will work, so it pays to be polite and considerate.

Do you charge fees? If so, what do they cover and are they charged up front or as reimbursements after the sale?

The Knight Agency does not charge a reading fee, nor do we charge for basic expenses such as copies and general mailing expenses.

How many titles have you sold in the past year?

Forty.

What is your commission?

Fifteen percent on domestic sales, and 20-25% on foreign and film rights sales if a sub-agent is employed.

What percentage of manuscripts do you reject and what is the most common reason for that rejection?

Sadly—and this is true of virtually all literary agencies—we reject more than 99% of the manuscripts we see. The most common reason for this, in the case of fiction, is that a novel simply lacks that “something special” that would make it a standout in the marketplace. Many times, we review books that are perfectly good, yet fail to grab the reader, and we are forced to say "No." In the case of nonfiction, rejection is likely to be for reasons that include the following: the market is too broadly defined, the market is too narrowly defined, or the author lacks credentials that would give him or her the “platform” sufficient to make the book a success.

If you could have lunch with any author (living or dead), who would it be and what would you most like to ask them?

Ernest Hemingway—in a sober moment, pre-World War II. I would ask him how he finds the courage to let go of all those extraneous details that writers love to hold on to but should leave on the cutting-room floor.

What would you say is the most important contribution you make to your clients' careers?

I see my role not as simply that of selling manuscripts to the publisher, which is only the beginning of a process; rather, I help the author plan an entire career. An active writer needs an agent who will serve as an advocate at all stages of the sale, and who will help him or her gain additional benefits in the form of foreign sales and so on. My job is to assist the writer in developing a recognizable “brand name” (or several brand names); therefore, rather than focus on the current book or the next one, I help the author create a strategy for an entire body of work.

Best words of advice to new writers?

Just keep writing. History is full of stories about classics that were rejected over and over and over by publishers. All too often, writers—and this is especially true in this era of instantaneous everything—want it all now, and that’s not usually how it works. If you’re a female Olympic gymnast, then yes, it’s likely that you would need to achieve something within a certain age window, but for writers, no such restriction exists. If anything, age can improve an author’s work, and it usually does. Be patient with your work, and give it the respect it deserves; don’t just throw something out there. In fact, if you want something that will give you instant reward (other than the rewards inherent in writing itself), then writing isn’t for you. The process of taking a book from manuscript to published work takes a long time, so why shouldn’t it be the same for taking the book from idea to completed manuscript?

Chciałam teraz powiedzieć o swoich refleksjach- otóż Deidre tym wywiadem wlała w moje serce otuchę- genialna rada dla nowych twórców. Być cierpliwym i pisać, pisać i jeszcze raz pisać ! Nie przestawać, nie przejmować się porażkami, tylko pisać choćby dla siebie...Naprawdę napiszę do Deidre....Zwłaszcza, że jadę do USA albo Anglii postudiować, anuż Deidre będzie mogla mi pomóc za parę lat coś wydać ! Rety ja chyba wciąż bujam w obłokach...ale czy to nie było by piękne, gdyby jej wydawnictwo (oczywiście wątpię w ten zaszczyt, ale trzeba mieć marzenia) wydało moją książkę ?!

P.S. Kocham Hemingway'a :mrgreen:

całusy

William Blake

Ela
Fan...atyk

Post by Ela » Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:59 pm

Bardzo się cieszę Hotori za umieszczenie tego wywiadu z Deidre (zrobiłaś mi miłą niespodziankę bo go nie znałam) :), która jak wiemy jest także profesjonalnym agentem wydawniczym, czyli kimś kto pierwszy ma kontakt z twórczością początkujących pisarzy...i jest pierwszym krytykiem. To agent decyduje czy rękopis jest wart uwagi, czy materiał nadaje się do publikacji, czy przyszły pisarz ma talent... Zaskoczyło mnie, że odrzucanych jest 99% przysyłanych do agencji prac. To dużo. Wygląda na to, że żeby zainteresować kogokolwiek swoją twórczością trzeba mieć naprawdę coś ciekawego do przekazania, wykazać się nietuzinkowością, umieć zainteresować swoją pracą.
Ale Deidre mówi także, żeby się nie zrażać niepowodzeniami. Że proces od pisania do tzw. szuflady, poprzez zainteresowanie kogokolwiek sobą jest niekiedy bardzo długi. I w tym wyścigu liczy się nie tylko talent ale także wytrwałość.
Zwróćcie uwagę, jak w tej chwili Deidre delikatnie ale konsekwentnie promuje swoją książkę....rok przez jej wydaniem. Uczmy się tego od najlepszych.
Jeżeli ktoś wierzy w swój talent, ma coś ciekawego do powiedzenia, pisze doskonale po angielsku to na pewno może skontaktować się z agencją Deidre i zapytać o opinię.
Nie bujasz w obłokach Hotori, jesteś jak najlepszej drodze do zrealizowania marzeń. My możemy tylko życzyć Ci sukcesu, Kochanie :D
Last edited by Ela on Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hotori
Obserwator Słów

Post by Hotori » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:12 pm

Eluś- a ja dodam jeszcze jedno : sukces zależy nie tylko od taletnu i wytrwałości, ale także od ludzi, którzy takiego nowego twórcę popierają, czyli jednym słowem od przyjazni, i to nieocenionej :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Biorąc pod uwagę ten czynnik- chyba nikt nie ma tak wspaniałych przyjaciół , pełnych wiary- jak ja. A ty kotek, Nan i Lizziet jesteście na to sztandarowymi przykładami.

wysyłam tysiąc całusów, i oby naszej Deidre wszystko się udało ! :cmok:

William Blake

Ela
Fan...atyk

Post by Ela » Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:39 pm

Hotori, Deidre jest romantyczką do szpiku kości, podobnie jak Ty. Może wyczuje w Tobie pokrewną duszę :mrgreen:

Maleństwo
Starszy nowicjusz

Post by Maleństwo » Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:42 pm

Dawno tu nie zaglądałam, a tyle nowych wiadomości się pojawiło. Już znany jest tytuł pierwszej części wydania GAW...tak szybko :shock: Dzięki Eluś za informacje, szkoda tylko, że jeszcze tyle musimy czekać, ale na szczęście są Twoje Elu cudowne tłumaczenia The Gravity Series i nieodkryte jeszcze, kolejne części GAW :tak: Muszę zajrzeć na podaną przez Ciebie stronę Deidre i ten blog :wink:

Hotori, dzięki za ten wywiad z Deidre. Przybliżył mi jeszcze bardziej postać naszej kochanej pisarki :P Hotori trzeba mieć marzenia, bo bez nich życie byłoby szare i smutne i trzeba je realizować...konsekwentnie, choć to często trudne. Życzę Ci powodzenia i trzymam kciuki :tak: :D
Maleństwo

Ela
Fan...atyk

Post by Ela » Sat Apr 16, 2005 6:33 pm

Dzięki Maleństwo. :D Bardzo proszę, zajrzyjcie na stronę blogu Deidre i wpiszcie króciutkie komentarze.

http://deidreknight.blogspot.com/

Olka już tam była, ja także, ale w swojej porażającej niewiedzy nie zalogowałam się...:oops:

Ale wg Olki można zrobić to tak :

Cytuję Olkę:
"Nie zarejestrowałam się Jeśli to zrobisz musisz automatycznie utworzyć swój blog. Po prostu przy wpisie zaznaczyłam opcję 'other' i wpisałam imię. A podświetla się ono na granatowo, bo jest linkiem do roswell.pl, gdyż w polu poniżej imienia wpisałam adres stronki. Tyle."

Hotori
Obserwator Słów

Post by Hotori » Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:21 pm

Poszłam za radą Oli/Eli :wink: i już zostawiłam po sobie ślad :mrgreen:
I zapraszam wszystkich do tego samego ! :)

William Blake

Maleństwo
Starszy nowicjusz

Post by Maleństwo » Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:56 pm

Poszłam za Waszym przykładem i zostawiłam komentarzyk u Deidre :wink: ...ruszcie się i napiszcie swoje...niech wie, że czekamy z niecierpliwością na Jej książkę w Polsce! :D
Maleństwo